A maturing disciple is someone who has said “yes” to God’s love in Jesus Christ and has become an apprentice of Jesus. Our apprenticeship is a lifelong journey of transformation to become like Jesus through the Spirit, growing to love the Triune God above all else and loving others and creation as Jesus does. While discipleship cannot be limited to a program, there are ways that we can order our lives together and individually that will create room for the Holy Spirit to transform us. We call these the “building blocks” of discipleship: education, community, practices, and joining God’s mission. For more on all four of the building blocks, check out our Discipleship Booklet.
- Format: Zoom; 9:45 am | Contact Amy Carlan for the Zoom invitation link. If Zoom is new to you, but you’d like to join, please contact Amy for support.
- Dates: They will meet December 13, 20, and then January 10 – March 28 at 9:45 am on Sundays.
Description: Eagle’s Wings has been a beloved Sunday school class for many years now, welcoming all into community and encouraging people through God’s word. After a pandemic sabbatical, they will be resuming by Zoom and inviting any and all to join them for sharing, prayer, and excellent teaching.
Adult Bible Study
- Format: Zoom; 10:00-10:45am. Contact Eric Hoyle (email linked here) or Zoom invitation.
- Study: The Gospel according to John
- Dates: New study begins September 13. Continues through spring 2021
- Programming Team: Eric & Grace Hoyle, Rick Wesley
- Teaching Team: Eight to ten class members who rotate weekly
Description: Our name is pretty self-explanatory: we are adults that study the Bible together. But to give you a bit more detail, our class is largely composed of adults with 60 or more years of wisdom. A prepared class participant teaches, but others are always welcome to jump in with questions and thoughts. We are always eager to include more people and often have new people join. Please come and visit virtually!
New Covenant Partner Class
- Format: In-person and Zoom options | 9-9:50 am
Contact Amy Carlan for additional details.
- Dates: March 7, 14, 21 & 28
- Teaching Team: Amy Carlan
Description: If you have discovered your spiritual home at FPC, this class is designed to help you discern if God is calling you to become a covenant partner (member). We believe that becoming a covenant partner will be a blessing to both the new covenant partner and the whole congregation, as we purposefully choose to live the life of discipleship together & partner in Jesus’ mission. The classes cover 1) What it means to be part of God’s family; 2) What it means to be Presbyterian; 3) What it means to be a part of First Pres, W-S. During the final class candidates will meet with an elder to share their faith journey in a small group format, and answer the four covenant partner vows as a large group. Can’t make it to every class? Please sign up anyway! Materials will be provided for the class you need to miss.