Confirmation is a beloved part of our church calendar here at First Presbyterian. Year after year, it is always amazing to watch God work in and through students’ lives during the Confirmation process. The purpose of this discipleship program is to help students learn the basics of Christianity, the tenets of the Presbyterian tradition, and what it means to become a Covenant Partner of First Presbyterian Church. Bo Brookby, Lisa Britt, and Johnson Waterer are the facilitators of the course. Our intention is for the confirmation process to be an experience of both the HEART and the HEAD. The two questions that each student will be seeking to answer are, “Who is Jesus to me?” and “Do I want to join First Presbyterian Church?” When the study portion of the class is completed in 8th grade, each student will have the opportunity to affirm his/her faith and become a Covenant Partner of First Presbyterian Church as they transition into High School.
The design of this class includes: weekly teaching times, mentor relationships, two retreats, a class party, a service project, a mid-course gathering for parents, and a mid-course gathering for mentors. At the end of the semester, students and families will gather together and celebrate the student’s completion of the Exploration phase of Confirmation. A public recognition of their completing the class will be made during worship on Celebration Sunday. Johnson Waterer (JohnsonW@1stpres.com), Director of Middle School Ministries, is heading up the Confirmation process, and he will happily answer any other questions you may have regarding Confirmation.
Registration and Mentor Selection needs to be completed by December 31. Just click below under Open Registrations to sign up. The cost is $150.00.
Important Dates to Remember:
- January 10-11 – Retreat with Students & Mentors at the church (more detailed info. coming soon – registration is open below and due December 31)
- January 12 @ 9:45am-10:45am – Class begins meeting weekly
- January 31 – Class Party #1 with all Middle School
- March 5 – Mentor Meeting 6-7pm and Parent Meeting 7-8pm in B-100
- March 8 – 9:15am – 2:00pm – Service Day @ Samaritan Ministries
- March 20 – Class Party #2
- May 1-2 – Retreat #2 (with all Middle School)
- May 3 – Final Class Celebration Brunch w/Mentors & Families
As some of you may know, mentors are a vital element to this process. Over and over, we have seen students benefit immensely from spending time with a loving, listening, and caring adult who is passionate about their walk with Christ. It is a powerful thing for them to have firsthand knowledge of lives transformed by Christ, and a trusted adult friend in whom they can confide. We encourage you to choose a Confirmation Mentor who is a person your confirmand admires and respects. We think that it is advantageous for this person to be someone other than a family member, so that your son or daughter is increasing the number of trusted adult voices in their lives. Take some time to discuss possible mentors with your son or daughter.
Choosing a Mentor
College student or adult in the church? First, we feel that this is an individual family choice. We want to give you as much information as possible so you can make an informed decision, but ultimately each student is unique which means each student’s faith is unique and that should be taken into consideration as your family discusses possible mentors. So here are some things to keep in mind while making a decision…
➢ The more relationships students have with people who are walking with Christ, the more likely it is that students will continue to walk with Christ through all circumstances of life. Therefore, if your student has a relationship with a Small Group or CONNECT leader already, an adult would add another person into their life who is walking with Christ. Also, we discourage choosing a family member as a mentor for the same reason.
➢ We highly encourage you to choose a mentor who is a member of or regularly attends First Presbyterian because one of the purposes of the class is to prepare them to be members here. There occasionally are exceptions to this so please run them by Johnson if you are considering this possibility.
➢ College students have very busy schedules, especially if they are already committed as leaders to youth ministry here. They also don’t start school until after the first retreat (the one that mentors are supposed to go to) which makes it likely they may not be able to
come. Some live close by and are willing to sacrifice part of their Christmas break to participate, but others aren’t able to.
➢ We also should say that there are always a handful of mentors missing from the first retreat (college & non-college) and the retreat is designed to accommodate that. We aren’t saying not to choose a mentor just because he/she wouldn’t be able to be at the first retreat. We just wanted you to know up front that it may be the case.
➢ Ultimately, what is most important is that the adult is passionate about their relationship with Christ and the Confirmand.
A Confirmation Mentor should:
• Be an individual who is committed to a growing personal relationship with God through Jesus Christ.
• Be committed to spending a minimum of one hour each week, beginning the first week of the class (actual meeting time and place arranged by Mentor & Confirmand)
• Be committed to praying regularly for their Confirmand.
• Be willing to build a loving relationship with an adolescent.
• Be available to attend the Confirmation Class Retreat #1 on January 10th-11th, Mentor Training Session (during Confirmation Class Retreat #1), Mentor Meeting (March 5th, 6-7 p.m.), Class Party #2 (March 20th), Confirmation Celebration Brunch (May 3rd).
• Be willing to submit to a full background check for any abuse or criminal history. This is required for ALL adults who work with children at First Presbyterian Church and is processed with strict confidentiality. The Background Servant Volunteer Screening Form is enclosed.
In order to support them in this process each mentor will be provided:
• A training session on Mentoring (during Confirmation Class Retreat #1).
• An outline of the class schedule.
• A commitment by the Confirmation instructors to lift you up in prayer and to be available to address any issues that may arise.
MOVE Group Registration | Sign up for MOVE groups
Confirmation Registration | Sign up for Confirmation
Confirmation Retreat #1 Registration | Sign up for Confirmation Retreat #1
Wednesdays, September 11-November 20 | 6:15-7:45pm | B-100
All middle school students are invited to join us as we worship God through crazy games, music and lessons.
Sundays | 10am | B-100
Join us as we learn more about God through studying His Word every Sunday morning!
Sundays, September-May | 5:30-7pm
MOVE Groups are small groups that meet for the purpose of growing in Christ-centered relationships.